2013年6月7日金曜日

10 years after.. @Mungo Jerry Bak Kut Teh

It has been 10 years since my last visit to this place > Mungo Jerry Bak Kut Teh at SS19/26 Petaling Jaya. Seriously overflowing with memories lo!! Right beside Mungo Jerry is the place where I first took my piano lessons (when i was 6 i guess) for 7 years. Used to always drop by this restaurant for dinner since it's just right beside.
 
So days ago my mum were saying her friends told her that Mungo Jerry still opens, and we were like wow so many years d still surviving! And all memories keep flushing back so we decided to pay that restaurant a visit. We found out that they only open at night so we had to brace ourselves to face the rush hour jam to travel there for dinner lol.
 
**I find the restaurant's name rather funny haha. When I was searching for their opening hours I accidentally typed "Mango Jelly" instead, based on my old time memories when I was a kid ma haha**
 
To be honest I was a little worried about how the food will turn out because you know, what tasted good 10 years ago may not be the same now, taste changes and all. But still feeling really excited coz we rarely move around just for Bak Kut Teh lol.
 

Reached! Exterior all still the same~ I doubt they did any renovation for the past 10 years. Very little customers too, it's always only 2-3 tables if i could recall.
 

The interior cashier area. Notice the cashier machine? It's seriously antique lo, and they are still using it hahaha. The interior looks 100% same according to my childhood memories, feeling super nostalgic. Most of the lighting posters faded, tables and chairs still exactly the same.
 
We ordered chrysanthemum tea for drinks (mum took jelly bee ice). After a sip of chrysanthemum tea we were pretty amazed with how things have not changed even after a decade. Seriously tasted same!! I remember chrysanthemum tea was my favourite drink when I was a kid and I sort of order that everywhere I go.
 
What we ordered for food: Bak Kut Teh (of course), Hot pepper pork soup, some random vegetables, and oily fried stick (yau char koay).
 

THIS!! This is one of the things that I just can't forget! The almighty fried onion rice!! You get to choose white rice over this if you want, but this one is just great!! I remembered liking this rice when I was a kid, and at some point I kinda complained about why all other chinese restaurants don't do the same fried onion rice lol.

Oily fried stick is really crunchy and tasted even better after dipping it into Bak Kut Teh soup. Should get a bigger serving coz I din't felt I ate enough, only 4-5 pieces.


Our main dish~ Bak kut teh! Mixed some different parts of meat in it, don't know how to translate to English hahaha. I remembered why I liked here so much; their Bak Kut Teh has a very strong hint of herbs (and I love herbs!!), and many BKT shops these days opt for a more diluted style of BKT, which I don't really fancy. The meat is very well stewed, very soft and tender to the bite ^^.
 
Btw the drink behind is mum's Jelly Bee.
 

Hot Pepper Pork Soup. I can't find anywhere else that cook this dish as nice as this place. I remember we used to frequent this restaurant for this soup. I've tried hot pepper pork soup from many other different place, but they were always either overly peppery or blant in taste, or even worse the pork intestines weren't clean enough ergh. Here it's just nice! Warm peppery feel and has a taste on its own.
 
Personally think that it's worthwhile going through the jam just for this meal lol. Recalled many good memories here, and I realise that probably for Bak Kut Teh my taste hasn't change much hahahaa. Would definitely go back again coz we didn't manage to order their BBQ Ribs and Pokkari, BKT with pepper soup alone already too filling for us.

0 件のコメント: